POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray 4.0 ?????? : Re: povray 4.0 ?????? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 4.0 ??????
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 5 Aug 2000 05:17:51
Message: <398BDA7F.9149FD1E@skynet.be>
Alessandro Coppo wrote:
> P.S.:
> Q: Why don't you use MegaPOV?
> A: There is no official list of MegaPOV features marked for POV 3.5
> inclusion. What if I start using functionalities which are dropped from the
> official release? Sorry, I prefer to wait.

The goal of using POV is making images, not "using POV" !  Features
in MegaPOV allows you to make nicer images, so go for it !
Q.What if a feature is modified ?
A.Well, many will be, at least for syntax coherence reasons, but the
  knowledge you gained with MegaPOV can't be 100% lost.
Q.What if a feature is removed ?
A.You STILL will be able to use MegaPOV at that time !  There is great
probability that, once 3.5 will be released, the next MegaPOV (or
HyperPov,
or whatever) will be a 3.5 with every other features added.

> By the way, it would be a great idea if the dev team posted a todo list
> telling us

Not being a member or speaking for the team, but I'm pretty sure that :

> 1) what is going to be in 3.5 (if not ready, 3.5 is delayed)

 Most of MegaPOV's feature, especially those who already works without
problem.

> 2) what is likely to go in 3.5 (but if late it is shifted to 4.0)

 The MegaPOV features that aren't currently satisfying enough.

> 3) what is scheduled for 3.5 but VERY likely to go in 4.0

Nothing. 4.0 is another "beast", the famous "C++ rewrite", but not
a feature-addition-release. (of course, new features might come
with 4.0, but that's not the primary intention).

> 4) the FORGET IT FOREVER!!! list.
 Realtime raytracing, integrated modeller, raccoon object,...

Fabien.